Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dolphins & 4th o' July Parade

"There's dolphins in the backyaaard!" is what I heard M. yelling, just as I started rolling down the driveway.  Say what?! I dropped my bike and sprinted around the house in time to see a two smooth silver dorsal fins breaking the surface just a few feet from our seawall.  Since one fin was mucho tinier that the other, we think it was a mom/baby pair.  Aww. In three years living at PMH we hadn't been so lucky as to see dolphins, since neighbors had told us it was a rare treat.  Indeed.  So great was our shock and aww at seeing the dolphin family that it delayed my thinking... Pictures! Must get pictures!  Unfortunately for our camera, dolphins swim fast and they were quickly out of range.  We gotta be quicker on the draw next time. 
Actually, the experience was so magical and surreal, that I almost forgot I was previously on my way to be in a parade.  OopsOn an impulse, we had decided to participate in a local 4th of July Parade.  Officially dubbed a "bike parade" the reality is a mix of tricycles, strollers, big wheels, etc.  All the wheeled-thingys get gussied up in red, white and blue.  I woke up extra early to get to the parade line-up, never dreaming that a pair of dolphins would almost make me late.  Luckily for me, I made it to the parade right on time :) 


Hope everyone had a wonderful, relaxing, and safe holiday weekend.
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

You lucky duck! I see them when I walk the beach all the time...and once in awhile I see the river "rat" dolphins....here they are BIG...and apparently never go out to sea, just enjoy the brackish waters....But HOW COOL to see them in your back yard!!

Florida....Ya gotta love it!

Bella-Fleur said...

hello!
thanks so much for stopping by my blog! As you can see I am obsessed with all things beachy. I love that you recycle old things you have into new pretty things.I try to do the same! I get really excited when I turn something old into a new pretty!
Happy recycling!

Nick said...

Dolphins in your backyard?! I thought the post title was a joke!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...