Friday, September 25, 2009

postcard: In Hot Water


Urmiri, BO - Despite the un-paved bumpy mountain path and the occasional delay of llamas crossing the road, I found the trip to aguas calientes (hot springs) at Urmiri to be well worth the effort. I spent a day in these hot waters and my muscles continue to thank me. Bolivians from all over the country travel to the resort at Hotel Gloria to enjoy this natural swimming hole and thermal pools, which are famous for their mysterious healing powers. Approaching the hot springs, the first thing I noticed are the white curls of steam rising from the emerald-green pool. Carefully stepping down the slipperty stone staircase, I discovered the water to be a comfortable chest-height in depth. Surprisingly, the water was crystal clear; I had a perfect view of my toes and the rocky bottom. The swimming hole is fed by a tall gushing waterfall that is just shy of scalding temperatures (I learned this the hard way). Although I wasn't brave enough to try it myself, I observed many people leaning against the mountain rock that is perpetually heated by the waterfall. On this trip with a few family members, we chatted with other visitors to the hot springs. They told us tales of limbs and ailments that were miraculously healed by these same waters. I hoped, more than anything, that they might be true...
Love, J.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

M - Pacha Mama said...

Wow, looks beautiful. I would love to go back there with you.

J - Pacha Mama said...

You betcha. It's a date! Love, J.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...