Friday, September 11, 2009

postcard: Second breakfast


La Paz, BO - Around 11am, a magical thing happens in La Paz: people of all ages spill into Salteñerias to enjoy hot salteñas (kinda like a small bolivian meat pie with sweet dough). I like to refer to this as 2nd brekky. Most salteñas have either beef or chicken filling, but this Bolivian girl hunted down a vegetarian option (yippee!). I also discovered that "El Hornito" [translation: The little oven] has expanded and now has 3 salteñerias serving the greater La Paz area. Excellent! If you've never had a salteña, you are really missing something in life...
P.S. I rode past the U.S. Embassy today and observed the flag flying at half-staff. It was a sad moment because I remember being a D.C. resident in September 2001. I recall standing on my apartment rooftop and watching billowing smoke streak the sky. Even though I'm far away at this moment, it doesn't seem so... not today.

Love, J.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...