Wednesday, September 9, 2009

postcard: Lady in the water



Lake Titicaca, BO - Nestled within the mountain range that makes up the Bolivia-Peru border is the world´s highest navigable lake. A 3 hr bus ride from La Paz brings tourists, vendors, and devout believers to Copacabana, a small town at the mouth of Lake Titicaca. Copacabana´s main attraction is the enormous white-washed Church that was created after a local indigenous man sighted a dark-skinned Virgin Mary in the lake. Without any training, he sculpted her likeness which was placed in the Church. It wasn´t long before many began attributing miracles to her. Throngs continue to come here for this reason - to pray for a miracle for themselves or a loved one. Health, wealth, love... anything is possible. Although I´m not a religious person, I had my own miracles to pray for, and I did. A few block´s walk from the Church is the famous Copacabana beach (no, not THAT one). This is a lake beach -windy, trout-stocked, and bejeweled with wooden sailboats. If only my camera could have captured the infinite shades of blue...
Love, J.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

"Copacabana" by a lovely lake sounds good to me..., would have loved to see that white-washed Church.

J - Pacha Mama said...

Thanks for the comment. Tis the loveliest lake I know. I grazed the surface and didn't write more about it's many sacred and magical islands like the Island of the Sun & the Island of the Moon. Also, I didn't get a good pic of the Church because it is so big, I would have to have been standing REALLY far away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...